Sue's Adventure

Sue's Adventure

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Hadassah Hospital

















Today I decided to visit Hadassah Hospital and see the synagogue with the Chagall windows. Hadassah Hospital is located in Jerusalem and is a world renowned center for treatment and research. When I look out my bedroom window I can see it. It is not far from me but I am separated from it by a deep valley. I am on one side of a mountain and the hospital is on another mountainside across from me. It is large, beautiful and imposing. It is a labyrinth of buildings with 850 beds. In 1962, when Israel was a fledgling state, Marc Chagall was commissioned to create 12 stained glass windows for the synagogue. It is truly a beautiful sight.

So I walked about a mile to a bus stop that took me directly to the hospital. Along the way I saw almond trees in bloom which smell so nice. The Israeli version of forsythia is also in bloom now so spring must be on it's way. Actually it was about 60 degrees today so a great day for a walk. I got off the bus and entered the hospital through the wrong doors and got completely lost in the hospital. As often works out though, it was in my best interest. I passed right by the Henrietta Szold School of Nursing. For my 40th birthday, my mother had bought me a life membership with the Woman's Zionist Organization, Hadassah, which supports, among other things, the hospital. I, in turn, joined the Hadassah Nurses Council in Maryland. Part of our fundraising activities goes specifically to the education of nurses here. So I was very glad that I stumbled upon it. I went in and took some pictures. I eventually made my way to the synagogue and opened the door to come face-to-face with an orthodox service in progress. A sea of Orthodox Jewish men stared up at me and I quickly shut the door and went around to the women's section. I stayed for the last 30 minutes of the service which was a nice thing to do.

I got to enjoy seeing the windows and hearing about what each pane depicts. In the 1967 war four of the windows were shattered when a bomb landed nearby. Chagall was notified and wrote to the prime minister that he should take care of the war and Chagall would take care of the windows. In one of the replaced windows, he placed a piece of shrapnel from the bombing which I thought was quite poignant. After the tour of the synsgogue I was talking to one of the tour guides and I told her about my affiliation with the Hadassah Nurses Council and how I would love a tour of the hospital. She is arranging it for me next week and I am very excited. I hope to be able to see the ED and the ICU's.

I feel like I am really running out of time here which is a little sad. There is so much to do, see and experience. This coming week I hope to go to Mea Shearim to see the ultra orthodox sect that lives there. I plan to go with my roommate friend Amalia. We both need to dress in long conservative skirts and long sleeve shirts. It should be an experience. I may also take a quick run up to Tel Aviv to buy a new bathing suit. I forgot to pack one to come here. When Robin visits we are going to the Dead Sea so I need something. I also got a call from a cousin (actually one of Roy's) who is coming to Israel with his family and wants to get together. They arrive the very day that I return from my Europe trip. Three days after they leave, Robin and her daughter come for a week and Donna's parents will also be here for 2 weeks. So as you can see, I will be very busy starting next week and continuing for 5 weeks. I will try to be good about posting though. I hope all is well with my friends and family at home. I miss you!

My interesting observation: The people of Israel are very laid back and easy going. It is rare that you see anyone in a shirt and tie and everything is informal. Yet they become sticklers with stupid (in my opinion of course) things, like admission to a museusm. I stopped at the Hertzl museum last week and could not go in because I did not have a reservation! Craziness.
My pics: The top ones are, obviously, the Chagall windows, followed by some shots of the School of Nursing and lastly, some of the flowers that are in bloom at the moment. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing... hope you find time for some rest in the next 5 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue: Loved the Hadassah Hospital when I visited Israel...thanks for posting the beautiful Chagall Windows...it is always a joy to see them again.
    Enjoy the next few weeks and we look forward to seeing you back home in May!

    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. sue, Enjoy each moment. Thank you for sharing your experience. Enjoy your trip in England also.Good to hear that Donna's parents are visiting while you are there. Have a good time. Talk to you
    With Love
    Jooli k

    ReplyDelete